Skip to content
Geography & History
- 🇮🇸 The population is approximately 400,000 people, similar to Iceland.
- ⛏️ The country was formerly a British colony known as British Honduras.
- 🇧🇿 It was granted independence on September 21st, 1981.
- 🇮🇱 Belize has an approximate area of 23,000 square kilometers, similar to Israel.
- 🏢 The capital is Belmopan, previously Belize City before a deadly hurricane struck.
- 🇧🇿 The flag is the only country to have humans depicted as a major design element.
- 🗺️ There are six districts: Corozal, Orange Walk, Belize, Cayo, Stann Creek, Toledo.
- 💰 The U.S. dollar is accepted country-wide and pegged at $1.00 US = $2.00 BZD.
- 🌴 Belize has two seasons only: dry season and rainy season.
- 🌵 Dry season is from December to May.
- 🌧️ Rainy season is from June to November and is also known as hurricane season.
- 🌊 Belize is below sea level which makes it vulnerable to flooding by the coast.
- 🚧 Flooding can cause roads to be become inaccessible and caves to submerge.
People & Culture
- 😮 English is the primary language with Spanish being secondary.
- 🇯🇲 Locals also speak a dialect called Creole, a broken English that sounds Jamaican.
- 🇬🇧 It is the only English-speaking country in Central America.
- 💁♂️ Tipping is not required in Belize so do whatever you feel like.
Currency & Prices
- 🍽️ Street food can cost between $2.50 USD and $5.00 USD a plate.
- 🚌 Public transport costs $2.50 USD roughly and run hourly, no night buses.
- ⛽ Gasoline is priced at $4.50 USD per gallon, which elevates prices of goods.
- 🚕 Taxis on average charge $2.50 USD to $3.50 per trip, even short ones.
- 💵 The daily ATM withdraw limit is $500 USD and only in local currency.
Flora & Fauna
- 🌲 Over 60% of Belize's land surface is covered by forest.
- 🌊 The Belize Barrier Reef is the second largest coral reef in the world
- 🏠 Roughly 26% of Belizean land and sea is reserved within a total of 95 reserves.
- ⛰️ The highest mountain in Belize, Victoria Peak is 1,120m or 3,675ft.
- 🐆 Belize is home to the world's first jaguar preserve, Cockscomb Basin.
- 🐠 The country hosts the largest barrier reef in the western hemisphere.
- 🧿 Belize hosts the largest sea hole in the world called the Belize Blue Hole.
- 🦜 Approximately 600 species of birds have been recorded as of January 2020.
- 🐒 Some animals local to Belize include: jaguar, manatee, tapir, scarlet macaw.
- 🦟 Mosquitos and sand flies are very common especially during rainy season.
- 🥘 The most popular dish is rice & beans with fried plantains, chicken and salad.
- 🥥 Lots of food including the bread is cooked with coconut milk given its easy access.
- 🍌 Some crops that grow here: sugar cane, papaya, bananas, cacao, oranges, mango.
- 🍔 Belize does not have a single fast food franchise, so no McDonald's here.